Sunday, February 20, 2011

My Top 5 Favourite Countries


1. Egypt
Type of travel: Tour
Name of tour company: POTO Travels (Malaysia) and MISR Asia Travels (Egypt)
My fav place: Cairo.
I can write endlessly about this bustling city with its friendly and warm people, ancient architecture, and of course their mad driving! Refer to my previous post entitled Marvelous Egypt.

2. New Zealand:
Type of travel: Backpacking
My fav place: WellingtonWellington is beautiful and extremely windy, thus being ranked as one of the windiest city in the world. I remember being pushed by the strong wind while walking near Jervois Quay one windy morning. I also like Wellington Zoo, spent half a day there as the zoo is large with many interesting and some peculiar animals. The local bus from the city centre to the zoo is NZD3 one way (if my memory serves me right!) and entrance fee:to the zoo is NZD14. There are also places to visit from LOTR's scene, but be prepared to pay a few hundred NZ dollars. I only managed to visit the WETA Cave, a mini studio where I got to see some props, displays, BTS footages of LOTR and even met one person who were part of thousands of LOTR crew members.
Rotorua Lake, New Zealand

My fav place: Rotorua
Do not be put off by the pungent smell of rotten egg while you walk around this peaceful town. The smell is actually sulphur, a common element around volcanic area such as Rotorua. This tiny, serene city is very relaxing. Sometimes while walking around the area, you get to see puffs of white steam protruding from the ground - interesting sight indeed. Also, due to  its unique geographical area many hostels offer free saunas. Make a trip to Wai O Tapu, and The Mud Lake and watch the famous Lady Knox Geiser. These places are at the outskirts of Rotorua town, so it's better to book a tour from your backpackers hostel which gives you discounted rates. After all that go-sees, the Rotorua lake is a perfect place to relax and have fish and chips. Though it cost NZD 12,  it was the best fish and chips I've ever tasted. Fresh and juicy fish and mussels!

3. United Kingdom
Type of travel: Backpacking
My fav place: Scotland and Lake District
Interesting places to visit in Scotland: Inverness, Falkirk, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Stirling. Inverness is the highest town towards the north peak of the UK. It's cold but beautiful especially by the riverside with daffodils and tulips blooming during the spring. I also enjoyed walking around Stirling Castle and admiring the greens from atop. This place is a must for those who admires William of Wallace's fight for freedom or those who have seen the movie Braveheart. Edinburgh is also an interesting city which has its own unique features. I've enjoyed all my three visits (once in an extremely late autumn and twice in spring) to Edinburgh and would like to revisit it someday.

My fav place: Lake District
It borders England and Scotland. Beautiful lakes surrounding the area. I stayed at  a B&B in Lake Windermere and it was awesome. My two friends and I also took the local bus to see more of the country side and it was worth the trip. The only thing was we had to wait for an hour for the bus, as there was only one bus in the country side. Keswick, a town nearby is also interesting.

4. Switzerland
Type of travel: Backpacking
Old city of Geneva, Switzerland
My fav place: Geneva city.
There are many things to see and visit.  I visited Switzerland 3 times, twice in Geneva because I like the city very much. The city is like many other metropolitan cities, but not as busy and congested as London and Paris. There's a guided tour within the UN building for CHF10 (or more, I've forgotten). Behind the UN, there is a beautiful botanical garden (about 5 minutes walk from the UN).

Also, there are many other UN affiliates around the area. Lastly, visit the historical old city of Geneva and enjoy a cup of tea outside of the shops within the area. For souveniers, some items are cheaper if you buy at COOP City, a supermarket at the town centre rather than at the popular touristy areas.

Besides Geneva, I also recommend visiting Lake Como which borders with Italy. It's a beautiful town but only go for a brief visit...unless you have loads of cash because this town is extremely expensive! When I went there, I could see many luxurious cars parked along the streets. Not a place for me for sure!

5. Italy
Type of travel: Tour
Name of tour company: Cosmos Tourama (UK)
I think Italy is an expensive place to visit as compared to Germany, France or several other European countries I've been. There are many beautiful sceneries in Italy not to forget many good looking and beautiful people on the streets too! 

My fav place: Florence
Florence is known for its leather. There are many leather factories around the city with tours available. You can also buy leather goods in these factories. However, there are also cheaper leather goods available by the roadside where you can bargain. Also, take a break and observe passersby at Piazza della Signoria while having delicious gelato for EUR3 per cone.

My fav place: Venice.
Venice is classic, lovely and unique. When in Venice, don't miss taking the gondola ride and enjoy live songs serenaded by Venetian boatmen don in their classic striped T-shirt. You'll ride under arches of bridges and get to see the ruining and sinking of old Venetian buildings. I've forgotten how much it cost, but through all its ruins, Venice is simply - romantic! Visit Venice before it sinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment